Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Some more stuff

I’ve seen Batman Begins and it’s good. Maybe not quite as ear-to-ear-smile-inducing fun as Spiderman 2 but still just as good in its own way. I imagine this is what Ang Lee was trying to do with the Hulk except Chris Nolan executed it infinitely better. When Katie Holmes and Liam Neeson’s goatee are the weak links of a movie, you know you have a good movie. Everything was crafted so well. A tight script brought to life by the best quality cast ever assembled for a super hero movie.

What impressed me the most was that almost every ‘problem’ with the story that I was thinking of seemed to be anticipated and addressed by the film. Why does Batman wear a cumbersome cape? How do you explain his reclusive nature? Where does he get all those guests for his party?

Anyway, about the 1989 Tim Burton Batman, I’ve always said that that wasn’t the comic Batman but it was still a great movie. Thinking about it, this new one is something else again. And again, it’s worked. Even better than Tim’s I’d say.



Last week I got my guitar modified. With lighter strings and lower action, apparently I now have the ultimate beginner’s guitar. It’s got a slightly tinnier sound but it’s a lot easier to play. Now I can’t blame my guitar anymore for my bad playing. I gotta admit. I’m just bad.



Good news: I have Ryan Adams tickets!
Bad news: He has an ear infection and might cancel his tour.



I’ve spoken often to people (especially lately for some reason) who say that they could never write a blog because it’s so personal and they couldn’t stand having other people read their stuff, whatever. Why is it always such a big deal? If you don’t like writing to a public audience, then don’t. But don’t say because it’s too personal. You don’t HAVE TO be personal on a blog. I don’t consider my blog very personal at all. I just write things. I first started so I could have a platform to practice my writing skills. Since then, it’s fallen to become something else. But it doesn’t matter. I just say things. Write them down. And others read them. Then inevitably the conversation will shift to be about writing for an audience vs. writing for yourself. This is rubbish. If you’re writing for yourself, you wouldn’t be writing on a site that’s public domain. You just wouldn’t. I personally never write for an audience but I know that’s just me. I don’t see the point, personally. If I wanna be thinking things, that’s what I’ll do. Think them. I don’t need to write them down for myself. To digress, part of why I don’t like to write for myself is because I believe that the written word will always be limited in what it can do. Words cannot possibly transpose a feeling onto a page. The best it can do is a representation of the feeling. This you can share with an audience. So to write something down is always to change it. To create something new. Even the spoken word changes things. As a reminder of memories, it’s limited. As an exercise, try describing a song. If you can make me experience something even remotely close to listening to the actual song, just by reading what you wrote, then I will bow down to your writing might.

As usual, I have strayed from my point…

Now I'll go back to writing more of my witch story. Oh and if anyone can come up with a name for it, please feel free to make suggestions. I tend to come up with really long working titles that sound ridiculous and that eventually fall in love with enough to keep as my real title. Or I plagiarise.

And so it goes.

No comments: