Wednesday, August 03, 2005

The trouble with leaving problems where they are is that they pile up over time. Like a messy room, for example. Procrastination gives immediate relief at the cost of having to face them at a higher level of annoyance later down the track. Sometimes, this may be a good thing. For example, back during uni, I always seemed to function better with my back to the wall. With an essay due in 24 hours. Or a publishing deadline. Or whatever. But those are fairly high stakes. On lesser matters, the accumulation of stuff over time would normally merely end in a half-arsed clean up job.

All of this, of course, is hardly profound, original or insightful. I write about this not to proclaim or teach but rather, to distract myself from having to write about the things that have been piling up in my ‘things to blog about’ list while I haven’t been writing much at all. Then, by the time I get to write about the stuff I feel I should be blogging about, I’ll be too tired and I’ll end up doing a half arsed job at it before getting off the computer to watch TV til 3 or so and wake up tomorrow morning just in time to be half an hour late for work and coming up with an excuse like ‘my dog caught on fire’ or something equally believable.

Here’s a rundown of various things which I may have wanted to blog about.

1. I saw Ryan Adams. I saw and listened to my musical idol for 3 hours. And while the concert cannot possibly be described as anything but a hit-and-miss affair, it was still worth the wait and the admission price. And then some. He’s messed up. He’s rude. He’s nuts. But, man, there were moments there when he sang and the rest of the stage was deathly quiet, except for his soft subtle guitar, that I sat there mesmerised, shivers down my spine, wishing I had a hand to hold.

2. I saw Sin City and was bitterly disappointed. I expected a lot. And I really really wanted to like it. But I couldn’t. Visually, it was stunning, innovative, etc. Let’s get that out of the way first. A++ for that. Now, the rest of it? I found it clichéd. Beyond iconic. Like Stephen says, it felt like the computer game Max Payne, except Max Payne probably had more twists and turns, or at the very least it had the actual game to distract you from the cinematics when you got bored of it. Sin City is relentless. Each protagonist was the same hard-boiled-tough-but-with-a-heart-of-gold alpha male. All females were strippers, exotic dancers, barmaids or the now super cliché Japanese babe with the innocent face but deadly blades. Most of them were naked or close to. The villains include more clichés like a crooked cop and a corrupt clergyman. Come on! This is the best from the legendary comic book? A++ for visuals. C+ for the rest.

How’s that for half arsed? Two things and I’m off already. Disgraceful.

No comments: