Sunday, December 19, 2004

10 albums you may not have but should... just cos I said so

I really have nothing to blog about.

I'm sorry.

But for my own enjoyment, and because I'm watching Rage at the moment, here are the top 10 albums that I think have had the most influence on me.

In no particular order:

1. Melissa Etheridge - Self titled
The rest of her albums are pretty much more of the same. But this one is special. There's a lot of anger and angst in the material and the result is both destructive and beautiful.

2. Ryan Adams - Love is Hell
If you listen to this and not feel a thing, then you don't have a soul. Turn the lights off, the volume up and go nuts.

3. Fiona Apple - When the pawn...
Besides holding the distinction of having the longest album title in known history (it's actually a whole poem), When the pawn..., to me, is a realisation of what she started with her first album, Tidal. Eclectic and fiercely original.

4. del Amitri - Change everything
Their self-description as 'esoteric pop' is wonderfully apt. Lots of songs about heartbreak, rain or both.

5. 10,000 maniacs - MTV unplugged
The best live album I've ever heard. By anyone. This was Natalie Merchant's last album before she went solo and became boring.

6. Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
The odd album of the bunch. First time I heard it, I was appalled and loving it at the same time.

7. Oasis - What the story [morning glory]
I always marvel at how consistent this album is without ever sounding boring. To me, this is like a distillation of pure rock and roll.

8. Counting Crows - August and eveything after
This is probably the album that first got me hooked to the whole Americana music scene. Mr Jones is my favouritest song ever.

9. Jason Mraz - Waiting for my rocket to come
This didn't leave my CD stacker for a whole year. To me, he's the best vocalist and lyricist among the guitar pop crowd.

10. Ben Lee - Breathing tornadoes
This was the soundtrack of my uni years. It just stuck. And I'm not sure why.

No comments: