Monday, January 28, 2008

like his role in Monster's Ball where he died early. He was brilliant. A standout in that film, and then his character was snuffed. Suddenly. Unceremoniously. And it made a hole and left me, as the audience, wanting. Yeah I'm pretty bummed about Heath Ledger's death. I mean, not that I'm I'm crying or anything but I do feel it. He was young and he was very very talented. At 28, I dare you to name five other male actors of his generation who are more accomplished than he was. I don't think I could even name one. Imagine the amount of great films he could have amazed us with before he reached, say, Johnny Depp's age. The potential was massive. I'm not sure everyone understands that.

I've been asked 'what's the difference between his death and some guy off the street?' And yeah, probably in the cosmic scheme of things there is no difference. But the difference to me is that while he was alive, he entertained me. He inspired, excited and moved me.

My view of artists (whether they be actors, musicians, painters, writers or whatever) is that they entertain us. They make us feel things. And I don't care if they get paid millions (maybe because I would love to be one myself). They make my world better.

So I have to say that I'm sad to him go. He stil had a whole second act to do.

1 comment:

Chip said...

I know exactly what you mean. This guy can really act. A real shame that we'll never see his potential.