Wednesday, May 19, 2004

xtn watches a DVD

Last night I saw the tail end of a movie called Chungking Express. The first half I had watched on Sunday. The whole thing I had already seen a few years ago but it seemed to be a better film this time around. I don't know why.

There are two stories about two guys who have just been dumped and how they subsequently deal with things. The only connecting thing I could find between the two stories is the kebab shop where both guys frequented. As I watched it, my heart was palpitating and my spine tingled. I couldn't shake it off even afterwards when I was in bed under the covers. It could be because it was cold last night. Or that the movie has lots of bright colours and nice loud music. But it could also be because I could relate to the second guy since he went to a kebab shop often and he has a messy apartment and owns a big bear soft toy. As do I in all three cases.

Of course, I'm not a cop like he is. Neither do I live in Hong Kong. And there is no girl who sneaks into my apartment and rearranges my things and replaces my old stuff and spikes my water to help me sleep and buys me fish. And if I did, she probably wouldn't look like Faye Wong. Other than those things, we are basically the same person.

Director Wong Kar Wai may be one of the biggest wankers in the industry. His stories lack cohesion and coherence. And his characters all seem to be nuts. But he does do two things really well: his use of music, and his endings. The man writes killer endings. Scenes that make you go weak in the knees and shiver for reasons you can't articulate in words.

I want to write myself a killer ending to this episode in my life. I sure hope this isn't it. Because this one's not killer. It just kills me. So I want mine to be good, complete with a theme song playing in the background.

Something fit to make a film out of.

That would be nice.

No comments: