Sunday, October 24, 2004

Friendly winds

It’s been a good weekend. And for all the right reasons. I won’t go into what that means exactly. Suffice to say, these are not the kinds of reasons that could fly or fizzle with an email or phone call in the coming days. While certain emails or phone calls in the coming days may dislodge me from my current content state, they would have little to do with why this has been a good weekend.

Friday night drinks was refreshing because it was different. Different because it was new. New because it was old. Whoever was there will know what I’m talking about.

Saturday was good for similar reasons.

Sunday, Escalade won our first (of many) grand final of the ACBA basketball competition. Despite the fact that we were really just the opening act, it’s wonderful to see how our team has grown and matured over all this time. Having been through so many different days together, both bad and good, everything came together today. It wasn’t an easy win. There were moments when I was thinking ‘oh we’re done’ but we kept proving me wrong. I’ve had more dramatic victories, other victories where I’ve been a greater individual factor, and I’ve been on teams that have maximized the sum of their parts to a much greater degree. But this one feels special. Twenty-three teams. Twenty-six weeks. And we end up on top. That’s pretty good in my books. Well done guys. We bloody deserve this one.

Thanks to all who came to support our game. Thanks to all who sent me long-distance well wishes (all two of you!). Thanks to the Mob Red girls for…um… entertaining us. And mostly, thanks to Captain Bill and the rest of the Escalade team. Mark, Andrew, Ian, Guyi, Dennis and MVP Luke. There’s no I in TEAM but there are four in MISSISSIPPI.

No I don’t know what that means either.

No comments: