Thursday, March 17, 2005

I am a sucker.

Here is the gist of what transpired today on my lunch break at the phone store.

Girl:
I see you've brought with you an ad for a phone deal that you ripped out of your mother's TV guide. As it belongs to our company, it's a pretty good deal. But here's what's going to happen. I'm going to tell you that we don't have that particular phone in stock. And then I'm going to offer you a totally different phone to the one that you've been planning to get since you saw that ad. But don't don't worry, I'll be telling you that it's a better phone anyway, which it probably is, although it is bigger and since you're a luddite who's been lugging around an ancient relic of a phone for the past 5 years, you probably won't be using the extra features anyway but it's still good to have. Oh and I almost forgot, the $33 plan that you were after is alright. But you should upgrade to a $44 plan which makes each call much cheaper even though it's more than you planned to spend when you walked into the store. Here, I'll do some fancy calculations for you and show you how much you'll save. I know you'll be rather skeptical about everything that I tell you and I know that I'm trying to get you to lock yourself in for 24 months to something quite different from what you planned to get when you first walked in. But because I'm a small non-threatening not-entirely-uncute Asian girl with an upbeat voice and I'm being really friendly, if not downright flirting with you, you're probably going to yes. So... how about it?

Me:
Um... er... well... yes.

No comments: