Sunday, March 13, 2005

On the way home tonight, there was a conversation with my friends about going after a girl who's already taken and when the boyfriend happens to be a nice guy.

On the one hand, we could end the conversation by saying: 'Well she's taken and he's a nice guy. Don't wanna mess with that. End of discussion'.

But on the other hand, if I apply a more formal logic to this hypothetical, it becomes this:

Aim: Girl
Obstacle: Boyfriend

Premises:
1. Boyfriend is nice (Minor premise)
2. I am not nice (contracted using this Syllogism - Going after a girl with a boyfriend is not nice, I am going after a girl with a boyfriend, therefore I am not nice) (Minor premise)
3. Nice guys finish last (Major premise)

Therefore:
I would be able to remove the obstacle and accomplish my aim, which is to get the girl.

Is there anything wrong with this logic?

No comments: