Friday, November 26, 2004

Friday morning fun

Today I was reminded of a poem that I found absolutely hilarious the first time I read it in Kurt Vonnegut’s Breakfast of Champions. I’ve also posted it on this blog before. I just can’t be bothered looking for it in my archives right now.

It goes like this:

Roses are red
And ready for plucking
You’re sixteen
And ready for high school


So I passed it around to a few people and some of their reactions to it I found just as amusing as the poem itself.

They went something like this:

It’s funnier if the last word was something else that rhymes with ‘plucking’

It reminds of an episode of the Late Show where they had a fake Arnie talking about his movie, Twins.

He says something like this:

Danny de Vito is great but I think it would’ve been funnier if they found someone who looked more like me

Well, here someone has actually gone through the trouble of explaining why the poem is funny.

I've amused myself enough. I’m gonna go eat now.

No comments: