Monday, November 22, 2004

They must have been celebrating down Habib’s way last night.

Free chickens for all!

Casey Donovan wins Australian Idol.

Has Bankstown ever been so proud?

So now Australia has an overweight 16-year-old starlet. This would be just too easy. But I can’t muster up the enthusiasm to write too much about it at the moment.

She’s nice. She’s humble. So I can’t dislike her like I do Courtney. But she’s also boring. So I can’t like her enough to care. Anthony’s probably thinking the same too. He wouldn’t be too concerned about losing given that Shannon is doing well enough. But after they made the announcement that Casey had won, Anthony had this smile on his face that tried to look like ‘I’m so happy for you, Casey’ but ended up looking more like ‘I can’t believe they picked the fat girl over me. This is year 7 basketball all over again!’

Speaking of fat idols, Ally gave me a card and got it signed by Courtney Murphy! Thanks Ally! That was one of the best presents I’ve gotten in ages! It just works on so many levels! If he knew the kind of stuff I’ve been writing about him…

On a side note, I told a friend about the Courtney signing and they said ‘Were there any food stains on it?’

Still on music, Gavin DeGraw’s concert at the Metro on Thursday night was fantastic. Judging him solely on his album might lead you to think that he’s middle of the road. Allow him some creative space on the stage, however, and the man really shines. He’s a natural showman. His album is so so, but should he come to Sydney again, be sure to catch his concert. Some musical acts were just meant to be heard live. For me, Ben Folds, Ben Kweller, Jason Mraz, and now Gavin DeGraw, are the ones I’ve heard whose studio recordings just do not do their music any justice.

Yesterday I went to see the Starlight Cup tennis. My brother is a Qantas employee so he got us free tickets. While the intentions are obviously good, it was an incredibly poorly-run event. Firstly, was it ever advertised anywhere? A good third of the people there were the yellow-shirt volunteers and if each of them gets at least two complimentary tickets, it probably means very few (if any) paid to get in at all. The event itself was a collection of B+ grade celebrities matched up with over-the-hill or never-quite-got-on-the-hill tennis stars. Watching Grant Hackett play was cringe-worthy. On the other hand, All Saints’ Ben Tari was trying way too hard. Sure he’s a pretty decent player but he was matched with a tennis legend who is over 40 years (yes, 40) past his prime (Ken Rosewall) and playing against an SBS newsreader and a 16-year-old. And it’s a friggin’ charity game with a 25% capacity audience. Take it easy!

The highlights were Adam Spencer’s play-calling and Glenn Robbins on the court. As were Matty Johns and Powderfinger’s Darren Middleton in the dunk tank. Middleton also possesses a good serve.

What a boring blog entry this turned out to be.

No comments: