Monday, November 15, 2004

Servants of the Light finish last

I’ve been told before that I’m too nice. I’ve been often reminded too that such niceness may lead to a life-long streak of last-place finishes.

I was playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic a few weeks ago for the second time.

Now, for those of you that don’t know, this game allows you to choose your path between being good (the Light) and being evil (the Dark Side).

The first time I played through the game, I was being good. So I said all the nice things. Killed only the bad guys and even went out of my way to help out a Twi’lek or two.

Logic, then, would suggest that when I play it a second time, I would be evil. So that I may know how it ends if I choose the path of the Dark Side.

But…

I just couldn’t do it.

I couldn’t just strike down innocent characters for money. I couldn’t look at a good natured, albeit cautious, Wookie in his polygonal eyes and tell him that he’s annoying and should just piss off.

Sure I got angry a couple of times, like when that woman tried to rip me off for the droid. I showed her that Jedis aren’t pushovers!

I realise it’s just a game. And that all the characters aren’t real. But I just couldn’t do it. I couldn’t be evil. I was just too nice.

How pathetic.

Eventually I did end up seeing the ending of the game as a bad guy. But only after I had finished the game the second time as a good guy. I loaded up the game near the very end and just did a really quick change of heart towards the evil side. Even that was hard. When I had to kill off the damn Wookie and his teenaged Twi’lek sidekick, I was thinking, ‘this can’t be worth it. This just isn’t worth it!’ …

No comments: