Monday, April 09, 2007

Happy Easter

Easter is not really something that people go out of their way to celebrate the way that we do with Christmas. I've always suspected that the reason could be as arbitrary as the fact that Christmas occurs at the convenient time of the year's end, but I dunno.

In terms of my faith, however, Easter is a lot more important. Christmas was the start of Jesus' journey, but Easter was his fateful conclusion. Symbolically, Easter reveals Jesus at both his most starkly human moment (his crucifixion and the days leading up to it) as well as his most divine moment (his resurrection). I know that the Easter season usually concentrates on the latter, being his ultimate victory and all. But to me, it's always been more about his humanity.

The fear he shows in the Garden of Gethsemani. The doubts he displays on the cross.

I know not all Christians read these events in the Bible the same way I do, but that's what I see and I love him for these moments of weakness. For these moments of humanity. I believe that there is no courage and there is no sacrifice without weakness. And nothing illustrates this better than Easter.

And I'm thankful.

I spent this Easter in Avoca with a few friends and we pretty much did nothing. We ate, we drank, we sang and I made a pork roast at 12am on Sunday. We bitched about people, I discovered pleasant things about others, and it was fun. And that was pretty much perfect, really.

__________

In retrospect...

My last entry was probably a little harsh. It was out of frustration, I suppose. As many of my entries are. Seems like these days, frustration is pretty much the only push for me to write. And that sucks.

On a somewhat related note, sorry Becks for always giving you a hard time on your blog. I may not immitate you... but I obviously do sit up and listen from time to time.

Well... that's it.

Happy Easter everybody.

3 comments:

Beckster said...

Hard time? It takes more than you to give me a hard time xtn, no sweat :)

jodeska said...

I didn't think it was harsh...I mean, NOT listen to an entire album?? Geez...

Joking- it was more then that, I get the frustration you have. Then again, I know I'm just as bad/ in a tiny box like everyone else. There's probably more I have to say about this but not sure what at this time.

See you tomorrow!

Chip said...

Harsh? Did I miss something? Maybe I'm just too stupid to see it :D