Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Pocket universes

I was exchanging emails today with a few friends and it really struck me how little I could relate to what was being said. One guy, for example, has this thing for really nice and expensive headphones at the moment. But he also rarely (if ever) buys actual CDs (blank CDRs don't count) and he says he doesn't listen to entire albums. Which only leaves pretty much the hit songs. Now, I don't have a problem as such with his approach to enjoying music, but it's times like these that I realise how far I personally am from such a line of thought. My most expensive headset cost me $30 (on sale, 50% off) and my favourite pair came free from an Adobe seminar. But I own buckets and buckets of CDs. I love albums. I have a 20GB mp3 player but I think I've only ever had the thing on shuffle once or twice. I love researching music. Finding influences. Counting Crows led me to Ryan Adams, which led me to Bob Dylan, Gram Parsons, Neil Young and a bunch of other old farts who made some absolutely fantastic records.

But I'm getting sidetracked here. The point, if there is one, is that so many people are sheltered in their own ways and yet they might not ever realise it. This group of friends, to generalise broadly, are the poster children for the disposable generation. They earn a lot (but want more), they're all highly intelligent and generally rather conservative. I personally have only met a handful of people whose high school TER (or UAI or whatever) was below 50. And 50, by definition, is the average! I have to constantly remind myself of this fact, because I honestly cannot fathom how a person can try hard in school and get below 50. Go ahead and judge me harsh if you like, but it's really very hard for me to understand something that I'm not. And maybe this is the real point I am trying to make.

I differ from this stereotype in that I really don't value money that much. I know that sounds like a wank, but it's true. Money is merely about survival and being able to fund whatever I want to do (which hopefully doesn't involve money). I've spent my whole adult life chasing career paths and interests that are totally impractical in terms of earning me a lot of money. I'm in the wrong industry right now if I wanted to be wealthy. And it's very hard for me to care. My brother has asked me to come to investment seminars and whatnot in the past and I really am not the least bit interested. Whenever somebody says to me that 'time is money', I feel like decking them.

My friends at work are totally different. Most of them aren't anywhere near as well-off as my other friends, they're much less conservative and are all convinced that everybody they know are Labor voters and thus cannot understand why the Liberals have been in power for so long. They're pretty much overgrown versions of the university art student stereotype. And I can't really understand them either.

From here, I'm gonna extrapolate (as I often do) that opinions are formed as much from a lack of understanding as they are from good understanding. And the problem is that most people are normally unaware of how little they do understand. Religion is a great example. So many atheists say they have a good understanding of religion. But they don't. And can't. Knowledge doesn't always mean understanding.

OK, now I think I just opened a much bigger can of worms. So I'll stop here. I don't know what I was trying to say or where I'm going with this. It was just something I felt like writing out of frustration.

And I just scrolled up. And that's a lot to write on something that I admit to having very little understanding about.

5 comments:

me55enger said...

Hey Xtn, hmm couple of big issues. Specially about albums! ;)

Yeah I pretty much listen only to albums at a time.. for me the album is the piece of work, a song is just a component. But I think that sort of thing isn't found in current pop music, with 1 hit song and 12 tracks of filler.

About our shared group of friends, yes you've hit an interesting topic. It's probably a case of like attracting like... and when cliques like this form they become quite insular.. outsiders can't fit in so their ideas don't penetrate the group.

Reading Future Shock by Alvin Toffler ATM. Has some commentary about this very sort of thing.

xtn said...

Definitely agree. Albums are musical compositions in themselves!

I've heard of the book. Recommended?

Alvina said...

Loved the post. Posted about it in my blog as a result.

I have the book on my bookshelf. It was recommended to me awhile ago (and I mean awhile ago), but have never got around to it. I hear it is good and worth a read. Perhaps I might just do that now....

me55enger said...

Yeah Future Shock is definately worth a read.

It's interesting to see what has changed, and more importantly what hasn't in the 35-odd years since it was written.

The sections on work and celebrity are specially interesting, and haven't aged at all, IMHO.

Chip said...

Haven't been reading many blogs lately so only saw this entry now.

Great post btw. I think you're right by saying how your interests are different from the majority of the group. But it's this difference that makes you unique and interesting. It gives us a window to another world which we would otherwise not see. I remember describing you to my gf one day and it went along the lines of "Christian, he's an interesting character, he's creative rather than methodical/scientific. He's arty when most of us are clinical. He's a bit different that most of us but we all get along. Oh and he looks like Chow Yun Fat" :D

Personally I reckon the more variety of personalities we have in our group the better.

btw, if you're a lover of music, you REALLY REALLY gotta try one of these earphones! ;)